Court:Supreme Court of India
Bench: JUSTICES H.L. Dattu & Chandramauli Kr. Prasad
Ashish Dixit & Ors.vs State Of U.p. & Anr On 7 January 2013
Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 — Section 12 — Domestic Violence — Quashing of proceedings qua respondent Nos. 4 to 12, except, husband and parents-in-law of respondent No. 2-wife — Impleadment of all and sundry as respondents by respondent No. 2, even tenant in petition under Domestic Violence Act — High Court should have directed that petition filed by respondent No. 2 be confined to her husband as also parents-in-law and should not have allowed impleadment of respondent Nos. 4 to 12 — Proceedings against appellant Nos. 4 to 12 quashed — Directions issued.
- Leave granted.
- This appeal is directed against the judgment and order dated 5.7.2010 passed by the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad in Criminal Miscellaneous Application No. 8358 of 2008. By the impugned judgment and order, the High Court has refused to quash the proceedings initiated against the petitioners by the respondent No. 2- wife, under Section 12 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (for brevity “the Act, 2005”).
- In the petition filed by respondent No. 2, apart from arraying her husband and her parents-in-law as parties to the proceedings, has included all and sundry, as respondents. To say the least, she has even alleged certain actions said to have been done by the tenant whose name is not even known to her.
- In a matter of this nature, we are of the opinion that the High Court at least should have directed that the petition filed by respondent No. 2 be confined to her husband as also her parents-in-law and should not have allowed the impleadment of respondent Nos. 4 to 12.
- In view of the above, while allowing this appeal in part, we quash the proceedings as against appellant Nos. 4 to 12 in Case No. 240 of 2007. We direct the learned Chief Judicial Magistrate, Agra to proceed with the aforesaid case; only against the husband i.e. Shri Ashish Dixit, s/o Padmakar Dutt Sharma, her father-in- law, Shri Padmakar Dutt Sharma, s/o late Pt. Diwakar Dutt Sharma and Smt. Girja Dixit, w/o Shri Padmakar Dutt Sharma, her mother-in- law.
- We are of the opinion that the direction issued by the High Court, inter alia, directing the appellants herein to appear before the Trial Court and seek bail is wholly unnecessary.
DISCLAIMER: The above judgement is posted for informational purpose ONLY. Printout/ Copy from this website are not admissible citation in the Court of Law. For a court admissible copy contact your advocate.
You may contact me for legal consultation or advice by visiting Contact Us
If you have any query related to gender biased laws join SahodarWhatsapp Groups by sending Whatsapp message “Subscribe” to Sahodar Trust No. 9811850498